Shown here, The Marston Vale Trust country park on 50ha of agricultural land surrounding two large lakes, formerly clay pits for London Brick. This ambitious project was designed in detail by White Horse Contractors’ staff, including the production of more than 50 working drawings. The company’s staff and plant completed the project, which included the design and construction of:
- 13 purpose-built wetland habitats, including 20ha of reed bed.
- 14km of trails, including cycle and bridle ways.
- Water-transfer systems for the wetland habitats, complete with outlet controls to enable strict hydrological management.
- A 75m boardwalk, plus nine other structures built using reclaimed sleepers and telegraph poles. A 13m clear-span bridge, built to carry up to five tonnes, using reclaimed materials on a steel frame.
- 15 new access control structures to restrict entry to the park.
Only £65,000 of the contract value was sub-contracted out.