As part of the ongoing ECB scheme to improve first class County grounds, White Horse were asked to tender for the ground improvements at The Riverside, home to Durham County Cricket club.
Our successful tender was for:
- Regrading of the outfield
- Supply and install of a root zone layer
- Installation of new drainage
- Installation of new bore hole-fed infield irrigation
- Supply and lay washed turf
- Construction of a bypass drainage system of sand filled slits
Works commenced late 2009 with the intention of turf laying to be completed by Christmas. However the country experienced the worst winter weather for some 30 years. Work to the outfield continued as and when conditions allowed with drainage only being able to proceed when the ground had frozen and the snow cover was thick enough to form a stable base to work on. Turf supplied had to be thawed and snow cleared from the surface prior to laying.
White Horse operatives and their sub contractors braved sub zero conditions to ensure to meet the club’s commitment for the first game of the 2010 season.