White Horse Contractors was appointed principal contractor for the construction of the country’s largest, single, sports pitch development, which comprised:
- 20 fully drained, natural-grass, winter-sports pitches
- Seven cricket squares to minor-county standards
- A full-size, artificial-grass hockey/tennis area
- Eight tarmacadam tennis courts
- A comprehensive irrigation system
- Three car parks and feeder roads
- The in-situ screening of more than 27-hectares of topsoil
- Installation of 47,000 metres of land drains
- Application of top dressing sand over a 20-hectare area
Topsoil was stripped from the ploughed farmland using specialist bulldozers and scraper boxes. Self-propelled mechanical screeners were set up and systematically worked across the site. The rejected stone was either incorporated as drainage layers in those pitches with the facility to be irrigated, or was used to make up levels as part of the fill operations.
Top-dressing sand was blended into the top 25mm of the topsoil layer, giving an improved rootzone upon which to cultivate and seed.